St Edmund’s players celebrate their late equalising try in the ACT Junior Rugby Union Championships under-14 division one final against Marist. The teams finished joint winners after a 10-all draw. Photo: Graham Tidy Action from the under-14s division one final. Photo: Graham Tidy

St Edmund’s has reclaimed its place at the top of Canberra junior rugby union after storming to 40-27 victory over Marist at Canberra Stadium on Sunday night.

In the premier match of the ACT junior rugby grand finals, St Edmund’s launched a second-half charge to cruise to victory and win the premiership.

It was the first time since 2011 St Edmund’s had won the title. It lost last year’s grand final by a painful two points to Canberra Grammar.

The team boasts rising stars Tyrell Lomax and Jason Tomane and coach Karim Sedour said captain and inside-centre Keith Morgan was outstanding.

Sedour has been coaching the first XV for three years and the grand final win was his last in charge.

”We’ve just added another rich layer of history to the St Edmund’s jersey … they’ve made their own memories and they can look back with immense pride for the rest of their lives.

”They’ll never forget … this is by far the most satisfying win because of how hard this bunch of guys has worked.”

St Edmund’s also won the under-18 division two title.

Tomane and Morgan will play for Australian A Schoolboys team and are hopeful of winning a call-up to the top side.

Marist coach Paul Mead lamented missed opportunities.

”We made a couple of mistakes and then they just ran away with it. They’re a good team and they capitalise on your mistakes,” Mead said.

”We had plenty of chances and played most of the footy, we just didn’t finish it off. Their early intercept try was probably the killer.”

More than 1000 junior players contested grand finals in all age divisions on Saturday and Sunday.

Marist won four grand finals on Sunday, but had to settle for a tie with rivals St Edmund’s in the under-14 division one premiership decider.

St Edmund’s scored with five minutes left and then nailed a sideline conversion to level the score.

With no extra time played, the teams finished the grand final with the score at 10-10.

The original release of this article first appeared on the website of Hangzhou Night Net.