SPORT: First grade grand final at Seiffert oval, Queanbeyan. Queanbeyan Blues v Queanbeyan Kangaroos. Roos player centre- Matt Lewis celebrates with his team mates after their win. 1st SEPTEMBER 2013 .Photo by MELISSA ADAMS of The Canberra Times. Photo: Melissa Adams MLAHis extra-time field goal proved the difference, but Queanbeyan Kangaroos five-eighth Jordan Macey thought he’d thrown the grand final away.

With two minutes of regulation time left in the Kangaroos’ thrilling one-point win over Queanbeyan Blues on Sunday, Macey threw a pass over the sideline with his side hot on attack.

No one was more relieved than the man of the match when his decisive kick early in extra time split the posts.

”I thought I blew it, but I was stoked to get the win in the end after throwing that terrible ball,” Macey said.

It was the Kangaroos’ third Canberra Raiders Cup premiership in four years, and atoned for last year’s loss to Belconnen United.

The Blues were raging favourites after losing just twice all season, but were left shattered after the Kangaroos repeated their 2011 grand final win over their cross-town rivals.

In the lead-up, Kangaroos coach Aaron Gorrell said if Macey won man of the match they’d probably win. His words proved prophetic.

”I wish I could have had a punt on that,” Gorrell laughed.

”He’s very important to us. He makes our decisions and he made a few poor ones, but in the end he made the right ones when we needed it.”

The Kangaroos burst out of the gates to take a 10-0 lead after seven minutes after tries to Daniel Watt and Jed Pearce.

But with the wind at their backs, the Blues hit back to lead 16-10 at half-time through tries to Levi Freeman, Aaron McInnes and Josh Chudleigh.

A brilliant individual try from Roos winger Fonua Tonga midway through the second half reduced the gap to 16-14, before a Troy Whiley penalty goal levelled proceedings with eight minutes left. The Kangaroos regained the lead through Macey’s field goal two minutes into extra time.

Blues hooker Chudleigh, expected to join the Canberra Raiders under-20s next year, nearly stole the match with a late try in the corner, but was bundled into touch.

The Blues had another chance to win it late through a penalty goal from Craig Wilkinson, but his attempt from 40 metres out fell short.

Kangaroos skipper Troy Whiley was surprised the Blues didn’t kick for touch and look for a match-winning try.

”Obviously they were out on their feet and looking for the easy option,” he said.

”If it was us, we would have kicked into touch, went for the try and, if not, the field goal.”

Blues coach Simon Woolford praised his side’s guts for repelling a rampant Roos side late in regulation time.

”The effort our boys displayed was unbelievable … but with the footy we were nowhere near good enough,” he said.

QUEANBEYAN KANGAROOS 17 (Daniel Watt, Jed Pearce, Fonua Tonga tries; Troy Whiley 2 goals, Jordan Macey field goal) bt QUEANBEYAN BLUES 16 (Josh Chudleigh, Aaron McInnes, Levi Freeman tries; Craig Wilkinson 2 goals) at Seiffert Oval on Sunday.

The original release of this article first appeared on the website of Hangzhou Night Net.